Design professional with expert-level knowledge of consumer-oriented and enterprise user experience design. Proven ability to transform concepts into award-winning, commercially successful products.
Combining creative and technical leadership, with entrepreneurial mindset, to deliver revenue-generating, market-oriented products & high-performing teams.
Global UX Design Manager | Volvo Group
January 2014 to Now - Göteborg, Sweden
Global Multibranded & Multiplatform UX Design
Responsible for setting the global UX strategy (onboard and off) for a multi-brand portfolio of trucks, construction equipment, and marine systems. Owner of the global UX design process, budget, and facilitating UX design in an agile environment across five design studios.
- Service design, next generation in-vehicle user interfaces, mobile, and telematics
- Coaching and process development for global design working within cross-functional agile scrum teams / Inspiring these same teams with a UX vision
- Design management representative for advanced design and research projects
- Driver of digital design language development for each brand across multiple touch points
- Securing and managing the global UX design budget, including direct reports, consultants, and suppliers across five global design studios
Innovation Specialist | Ericsson
August 2012 to January 2014 - Göteborg, Sweden
Development Unit IP & Broadband
Leading innovation across multiple product design units and highly technical portfolios. Utilizing design thinking methodologies to drive innovation, 33% travel, interfacing with multiple international executive teams. Contextual user research. Designing and leading innovation workshops.
Areas of focus:
- Cloud & Big Data
- Internet of Things & Smart Cities
- Co-creating and building an innovation management program based on design thinking
- CUsability / UX metrics & evaluation / Lean UX / Mentoring thesis projects
Instructor & Thesis Advisor | Chalmers
August 2012 to August 2013 - Göteborg, Sweden
TDA492 - Graphical User Interfaces. This master's level course introduces theoretical and practical methods for the design of screen-based interfaces. After the course, students should be able to design a relatively complex graphic user interface, and provide a valid design rationale for it.
I lecture on the following topics:
- History of the GUI
- Layout Design Theory
- Layout Design Practical Considerations
- Beyond the Monitor: Design for mobile, automotive, ambient displays, and ubiquitous computing contexts.
Interaction Design Manager | Designit
November 2011 to August 2012 - Göteborg, Sweden
Strategic Design Consultancy
Hired to start and grow interaction design discipline in the Göteborg, Sweden studio. Defining and executing digital design strategy for studio, hiring and managing team of interaction and visual designers. P&L responsibility for all digital business.
- P/L responsibility for all digital business in the Göteborg studio.
- Building a world-class team of creative digital designers (interaction and visual).
- Overall quality of creative execution of client deliverables.
- Identifying key strategic partners in software development to collaborate with on projects as-needed.
Primary areas of focus:
- Ubiquitous computing
- Design thinking innovation
- Developing and leading corporate workshops
- Consumer electronics
- Design strategy to uncover new business opportunities
- Service design
Founder | Social Locale
October 2011 to February 2012 - Göteborg, Sweden
Place Based Socialcasting Startup
Social Locale was a point-of-purchase social media display service, with a focus on aggregating location-based checkin data from multiple sources, normalizing that data, and transforming for display on in-store flat-panel displays. Users could walk into a store and see who is there, in addition to other cool and aesthetically pleasing information. Social Locale empowered stores to utilize real-time spatial data in order to drive short-term, targeted promotions in the store.
The company started from the research paper "Ambient Social Awareness & Multiscale UX Design" I wrote to explore location-based services and real-time spatial data.
- 2nd place finalist at Chalmers Innovation "Pitch & Win"
- Multiple VC pitches
- Live beta tests in locations around Gothenburg, Sweden
Senior Product Manager, UX | Qualcomm
October 2007 to July 2010 - San Diego, CA
Mobile Multicast Services
Research and design leader for FLO TV automotive product: definition and concept, user experience strategy, prototyping, user testing, interaction and visual design. Worked for both creative and technical excellence to deliver a superior user experience and successfully commercialized product. Lead product manager for interactive and social TV, datacasting service concepts, and next generation platforms. Focus on innovation and commercialization of R&D projects. Five patents; four as lead inventor.
- Lead next generation user experiences for FLO TV’s mobile broadcast TV service
- UX direction for FLO TV Automotive Rear Seat Entertainment product and service
- Datacasting based smartbook prototypes utilizing network for real-time data
- Champion user-centered design principles across the organization and partners
- Balance and synthesize requirements from several different sources such as contractors, consultants, partners, internal legal, executives, and end users
- Planning and executing prototypes and usability tests
Creative Director | Digital Orchid
January 2003 to September 2007 - San Diego, CA
1st Generation Mobile Applications
Recruited to Digital Orchid, a venture-funded mobile software startup focused on building and managing networked content applications for major brands. Reporting to the VP Engineering, I was retained to lead the design of all products in addition to building and managing the design and content teams. Joined Series A and fewer than 10 employees.
I directed the design (UX and visual) of award-winning and commercially successful products for: NASCAR, NHL, MLB, ESPN, IRL, Champ Car, AMA, Reef, Quiksilver, Hawaiian Tropic, and many, many others. Application design experience covers every major mobile product category and all major carriers in North, Central, and South America, with additional coverage in Europe: BREW, J2ME, PocketPC, WAP.
- Design direction
- Recruiting and managing creative team
- Relationship building with partners like NASCAR, ESPN, MLB, NHL, and others
- User testing and institutionalizing usability metrics
Product Manager | Xsilogy
December 2001 to August 2002 - San Diego, CA
M2M Remote Sensor Information Visualization
Recruited to Xsilogy, a venture-backed remote sensor monitoring (M2M) technology startup, I reported to the VP Engineering and was retained to lead the design of their cloud-based analytics service. Joined Series B and fewer than 30 employees.
- Functional specification documents for web-based wireless networking monitoring tools.
- Prototyping of new web-based applications and designing the user interface.
- Prototyping and design of information visualization tools for large, dynamic data sets.
Interaction Designer | CollegeClub.com
May 1998 to April 2001 - San Diego, CA
1st Generation Social Networking
I joined CollegeClub.com, a college oriented social-networking website, during their Series A with fewer than 15 employees.
- Interaction design for all communication tools.
- Functional specification documents for all communication tools.
- Communication tools product manager (revenue, performance, and promotion).
- Editor and managing editor with 30+ direct reports.
- Developed original interactive content like celebrity chats, online weddings, political debates, games, and several interactive campaigns for brands like Arista, GM, Nissan, and several movie releases.
M.Sc. Interaction Design
September 2010 to February 2012 - Göteborg, Sweden
Chalmers University of Technology
Interaction design is the practice of designing interactive digital products, environments, systems and services. It focuses on behaviour – how users act and how products respond to user behaviour. As such, it is a necessary discipline in any design project aiming to create something complex and computer-augmented that is to be used by humans: computer software, games, interactive products such as smart phones or MP3-players, “intelligent” homes, cars, clothes and so on.
August 1992 to June 1997 - Bloomington, IN
Telecommunications majors study a broad range of electronic media. Areas include radio, television, cable, satellite services, telephony, multimedia, and the Internet.
There are three areas of study:
- Media and Society
the electronic media's influences on audiences and users and society's influence on the media
- Design and Production
the design and production of video, audio, and multimedia messages, programs, and products
- Industry and Management
the business legal, and managerial aspects of telecommunications